A business mentor is someone who can help you:
- Avoid mistakes
- Overcome obstacles
- Guide you in the right direction
- Connect you with other influencers/business owners/clients
- Continue to learn
I am blessed to have a business mentor!
She’s someone who I trust, she’s run a business for over 10 years, and she is always open to learning as well.
How did I find my mentor?
At first, my mentor was a client. In May 2016, I approached her to run her business’ social media accounts. Over time, our relationship grew and I found myself learning more about my craft, and expanding my skill set. She challenged me to continue learning, and I was determined to constantly improve.
What does my mentor teach me?
Instead of just running the social media accounts, I made her a website, ran the newsletter, organized files, and learned more about how to run a business. I learned how she handles the daily stresses of running a successful business, and I learned different strategies to manage priorities, events, and commitments. I saw first-hand some of the daily challenges she faces and realized I should be more empathetic towards small-business owners.
How can you find a mentor?
There are a few ways to find a mentor. You could:
- Ask a previous/current boss
- Join a professional organization
- Attend networking events with a focus on mentorship
- Reach out via LinkedIn, e-mail or social media
- Offer value to someone you admire
- Ask around to see if anyone knows of someone who might be a good fit